Saturday, January 8, 2011

Melbourne Trams

People really are fascinating and now that I've joined those who live in the suburbs and have to catch trams everyday, I'm finding the idiosyncrasies of the general public can actually give me some amusement for my journey to and from work.
I do have to wonder though, why those with these rather peculiar habits have to choose to sit near me all the time.
Take the 50+ male who sat opposite me last week, dressed in very short bright blue shorts, matching t-shirt covered in badges that we used to wear as teenagers, and thongs, one of which was blue, the other black.

He proceeded to get a little book out,  marking down the tram he was on, so I immediately thought, okay you're a tram spotter and thats cool but then I started to observe other odd things that made me concur that he was a little bit different. He had a drink bottle with stickers on it, not barbie but something similar that a young girl would put on things, these stickers also adorned his keyring! Are we getting the picture!

His mannerisms then started getting perculiar, he was emptying his backpack, but he wouldn't just remove things gently, they were all yanked out with force and slapped down, he even pulled out a peg, examined it for longer a moment and slapped it down!
His last act of strangeness was his way reading the newspaper, with pen in hand, as he read something he crossed all the way through it with very swift strokes.
He ended his journey at the Bourke Street Mall and I wondered what the throng of shoppers would think of this strange individual or as Melbournites are used to eccentricity whether no one even gave him a second look!

1 comment: